Cannon digitrol 10 bottom tracking problem

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Cannon digitrol 10 bottom tracking problem

Postby Dexter » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:44 pm

I am having trouble with my digitrol 10 units depth readings wildly fluctuating while trolling at 2 mph in the bottom tracking mode. The problem seems occur at depths less than 80 feet. The depth readings will suddenly start jumping from 5 to 390 feet and back when in less than 80 feet of water. This causes the downrigger cable to bird nest in the cable reel. Has anyone had a similar problem? I called Cannon and they were not aware of the problem.
Dexter
Dexter
Pollywog

Re: Cannon digitrol 10 bottom tracking problem

Postby Nelly » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:46 am

Hey Dexter,
The fact you have referenced a specific speed range makes me wonder if you have a turbulance issue with the transducer.
For example, if the leading edge of the Cannon downrigger transducer is lower than the trailing edge then air bubbles will be trapped on the face of the transducer which will result in distorted and erratic depth readings.
In addition, keep in mind that the Sensitivity setting in the Bottom Track Menu will also reduce needless cycling of depths as well.
Is there a learning curve to successfully operating the Cannon Bottom Track function?
Yes there is!
Is it worth the time and effort?
Without question it is! The amount of salmon I put in my boat while the riggers are tracking never ceases to amaze me.
Stick with it Bro and let us know how it's working for you! thumbup
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion