CHIRP Frequency

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

CHIRP Frequency

Postby spencerw » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:50 am

Nelly-

Hope you're doing well.

So I did some fairly extensive upgrades to the electronics in my boat. I'm questioning now if I would have made some minor changes to what I had installed.... had I been as knowledgeable as I am now. I think most of the Navico Tech support people know my voice, let alone name :)

Anyhow,

I had the Airmar B150M Transducer put in. When I'm fishing through the SonarHub, my options for CHIRP are the following:

Option 1: 83KHz
Option 2: Medium CHIRP (85-145 KHz)
Option 3: CUSTOM ( I can manually type in a Frequency: 145 KHz is the Highest)

That transducer doesn't provide HIGH CHIRP. If I want to go with 200 KHz, it's using standard SONAR.

My question to you is: did I screw up? I fish like you in the 100-200 feet of water. Am I missing the beauty of CHIRP by only having Medium CHIRP Frequency capability?

As always, thanks for your feedback and support!

SW
Woods
Edgewood, WA
spencerw
Pollywog

Re: CHIRP Frequency

Postby spencerw » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:12 am

I suppose my question is, am I missing something by not having High CHIRP capability? Is there that much of a difference between my Med Frequency and the High that I don't have?

I've read the differences and online descriptions...................... I'm looking for someone with some hands on experience and visual perspectives.

Cheers-
Woods
Edgewood, WA
spencerw
Pollywog

Re: CHIRP Frequency

Postby Nelly » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:22 pm

Hey Spence,
Sorry for the delay in answering your questions. It's been a busy week between Salmon For Soldiers and the Everett Coho Derby... outahere

Anyway, I have been running low CHIRP all summer and I'm loving it. Remember that in general, the lower the frequency, the wider the cone angle which is a huge advantage for saltwater anglers and downrigger trollers in particular.

The ability to see your downrigger weights in relationship to salmon and bait is a huge advantage and just the beginning of what I'm beginning to learn about CHIRP.

So, the ability to high CHIRP is not very important for our application. Medium is good and low CHIRP may help you as well. Take a look in your sonar menu and see if your unit is equipped with it!

Good luck! rockon
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion