Nasty Coho Riggin's

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Nasty Coho Riggin's

Postby Robbo » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:21 pm

Since a few people emailed to see what flasher/hoochie setup we were using last weekend for the Salmon for Soldiers event I figured I would post up a couple of pics. The coho simply couldn't leave this one alone. Not only for us but a couple of other boats also. The "Empress of the Sea" hooked up on 18 coho's with this rig. Ding, ding...we have a winner!

Luhr Jensen Double UV flasher with a green splatterback Ace Hi Fly needlefish. Double 3/0 Mustad hooks, 3 glow beads, and 31 inches of leader.
coho_rig1.jpg
coho_rig1.jpg (115.42 KiB) Viewed 7611 times

In addition to UV these flashers have some serious glow poured into the boards as well 8-)
coyote_glow.JPG
coyote_glow.JPG (41.57 KiB) Viewed 7611 times

We were turning about 3.0 mph to get our fish. I've gotten to mess around with the Luhr Jensen "Crush" and "Double UV" flashers for a couple years in Alaska now and I can tell you they do make a difference for kings...and now coho. And the blue and green splatterback needlefish Ace Hi's are always MONEY when there is small bait around thumbup
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Re: Nasty Coho Riggin's

Postby mitch184 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:28 pm

Assuming you are the same as Nelly (might be an insult??) and measure that 31" knot to knot?
mitch184
Pollywog

Postby Rock » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:11 am

mitch184 wrote:Assuming you are the same as Nelly (might be an insult??) and measure that 31" knot to knot?

Good question I always wonder that as well. Knot to Knot or knot to last hook.

I have been out in front of Edmonds after works the last 3 days and no fish at all. I was there saturday and sunday in the morning and they were all over the place. Just trying to get a little more efficient so I can nail a couple more.

Rock
Rock
Pecker Trout

Postby Nelly » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:55 pm

mitch184 wrote:Assuming you are the same as Nelly (might be an insult??) and measure that 31" knot to knot?

Insult??? Dude! rofl

Seriously, When discussing spoon leader lengths the term "knot to knot" is more technically accurate but since we're talkin' Ace Hi's/Hoochies here, let's agree that the measurement is from the knot on the back of the flasher to the top hook.
We're kind of splitting hairs here but if you shorten your leaders to the 30-36 inch range, you'll get a coho to bite sooner than later rockon
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Brandon » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:22 pm

LOL "Empress Of The Sea"..... did we have a boat name change?
Brandon
Metalhawg

Postby Nelly » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:36 pm

Brandon wrote:LOL "Empress Of The Sea"..... did we have a boat name change?

Yes, Robbo's boat the Polar Bear has been re-christened the Polar Poodle... rofl
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Robbo » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:02 am

You mean the "Troller Bear"....mooooohahahaha rofl

31 inches is from knot at the bottom of the flasher to the front of the hoochie mamma. You can even go as short as 27".
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion