Trolling motors

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

Trolling motors

Postby PKG » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:29 pm

So, what is the differences between the Honda high thrust 9.9 and the Yamaha T9.9. I would love to get the Evinrude 15-HO but I've been told it is to heavy for my swim step. Any suggestions on the motors.
Kailean Gorman

Pain is temporary
Glory is forever
Chicks dig scars
PKG
Pollywog

Re: Trolling motors

Postby onwhiskeycreek » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:51 pm

We have 2 Yamahas, an older Honda and a Mercury. They are all good motors, for me I would probably choose Yamaha for my next motor. That decision is based on the excellent service Chet at Bay Marine in Craig provides for Mercury and Yamaha. Honda and Evinrude service for us is pretty much non existent but for you is probably good. I would go with the motor from the dealer you have the best working relationship with.
Gary
onwhiskeycreek
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:40 am

As long as they are rigged similarly, (power tilt, tiller or remote) the carburated four-stokes are pretty much the same these days.
The only trolling motor that offers fuel injection for incredible speed control and a true 15 amp alternator is the Evinrude 15HO.
It's only 60 pounds heavier and keep in mind that the engines thrust is the most significant force on your swim step. Not the weight.
I do understand the hassle of strengthening up a bracket but in all honesty, if my trolling motor mount was 60 pounds away from failing, I would be doing some serious beefing up! cheers
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby onwhiskeycreek » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:19 pm

The high output alternator could sure be a game changer with the increased demand from electronics. EFI sure has increased performance in both gas and diesel engines. If we lived where we could service the Evinrude it would be worth taking a look at. Thanks for the insight

Gary
onwhiskeycreek
Pollywog

Postby ondarvr » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:24 pm

I haven't used the Evinrude, but have used the others.

They all run well and are very reliable, but the easy winner is the Yamaha.

The Honda and Merc tend to have very touchy throttles at just above an idle, it can be difficult to Control the RPM's and find the perfect trolling speed sometimes. Plus they tend to vibrate at certain RPM's and if your desired trolling speed is in the vibration zone it can really rattle the boat.
ondarvr
Pollywog

Postby Boiler Up » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:44 pm

I say installing a high thrust prop for either motor will make for
happy trolling. I am well satisfied with my 9.9 Suzuki with a
high thrust prop.
Boiler Up
Boiler Up
Pollywog

Return to Boat Owners Forum