Bass & Cutthroat Trout Bite

Saltwater and freshwater fishing reports!

Bass & Cutthroat Trout Bite

Postby KayakFishingWA » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:57 pm

smb1.jpg
Small Mouth Bass from Lake Union
smb1.jpg (66.06 KiB) Viewed 2157 times

Tuesday turned out to be a nice day, so I launched my kayak at the boat launch near Gas Works Park. The water was about 53 degrees. Dodging a few Ride the Duck Tours, I pedaled over near the park pulling a 3ft diving bass plug in about 10 feet of water. Immediately, a take down and a nice small mouth bass about 18" I brought to the kayak, photoed and released. I went out deeper and dropped the same set up on my lead core in 20 feet of water. Another nice take down as I got shallow. I got the bass close to the boat, it took one dive and got off the line by running it into my kayak's pedal drive.

pikeminnow2.jpg
Large Pike Minnow
pikeminnow2.jpg (63.93 KiB) Viewed 2157 times

Thursday: You wouldn't know that Spring was here with today's weather. I took my kayak out in the 15mph winds that Lake Washington was throwing at me. The water had warmed up a bit to a mere 50 degrees since my last outing. I started off pulling a diving bass plug with lead core line in about 20 feet of water. After making a couple of passes, my line did Bendo and I grabbed the rod out of the holder. I was convinced this was a decent sized bass until the fish got close to the kayak and begin the infamous head shake. A damn Pike Minnow. A big one at that!

cutty2.jpg
17" Cutthroat Trout from Lake WA
cutty2.jpg (98.39 KiB) Viewed 2157 times

I switched things up and put on a Brad's Cutplug Mini (Black Jack) and moved out into 30 feet of water. I was marking fish deeps so I let a few more colors out on the lead core to get down. Another bend in the rod, a couple of jumps out of the water and I landed a 17 cutthroat. I tossed her back for another day.
Brad is founder of Kayak Fishing Washington; We promote the sport of kayak fishing in Washington State through clinics, meet ups and guiding.
http://www.kayakfishingwashington.com
& http://www.facebook.com/kayakfishingwashington
KayakFishingWA
Pollywog

Return to Fishing Reports