Favorite Knots

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Favorite Knots

Postby Robbo » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:46 am

Just curious what knots ya'all use for tying on lures and terminal tackle? I still use the good ol' clinch knot for 90% of my terminal ties and when there's light line involved I'll go to the improved clinch or a palomar knot. For super heavy mono ties it's the improved clinch knot all the way.

What about for braid? For me it's the uni-knot almost universally for the stuff here in the Northwest.

Thoughts :ugeek:
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Re: Favorite Knots

Postby RonS » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:00 am

It's palomar all the way for me for terminal gear - lures and swivels, mono and braid. My dad taught it to me many years ago and I've not had a knot failure since...never...not once. I can't say that about the clinch knots. Uni knot for mono to braid and bumper tie for hooks.
RonS
Pollywog

Postby Smalma » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:56 pm

With mono I use the trilene knot for attaching hooks/lures/ swivels etc. On the very largest mono where strength is not a concern I revert back to the clinch knot.

For most braid knots I use a palomor all the way (including the braid downrigger line).

There are a few specialize knots I use occasionally but those above cover 99% of my knots.
Smalma
Biologist Emeritus

Postby Dan Carney » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:58 am

I am partial to the improved clinch knot (we called it the figure 8 knot when I was growing up). To Snell a hook I use a uni-knot. I also learned to tie a bait loop knot. To tie hooks for herring or a hoochie I use a uni-knot on the terminal hook and a bait loop on the top hook, this lets me get the exact spacing I want between them. Sometimes on braid I will tie a bowline knot, especially on the down rigger line. To join two lines I use a double uni-knot. On occasion I have used the Palomar knot. This seems to cover all fishing situations for me.
L8R
Dan
Dan Carney
Pecker Trout

Postby Sharkey45 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:28 pm

I've always used an improved cinch but for the last few years I have been using the palomar knot. I have noticed a lot less line burn with the palomar. Especially with smaller diameter leader. I also attach my hollow core lead to my main line tag and the palomar allows me to leave as long of a tag as I want in case I need to run a drop.
Sharkey45
Pollywog

Postby Nick Berto » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:43 am

Improved clinch on monofilament (old stand-by).
Trilene knot on flourocarbon (does not "burn" when tightened on hard flourocarbon).
Palomar for braid (super strong).
Double Albright for flouro or mono to braid connection.

Another few knots to check out;
San Diego Jam Knot (my fishing partners fav)
Slim Beauty Knot (also a very good connection knot)
G-Loomis
Shimano
Power-Pro
Nick Berto
Pollywog

Postby Robbo » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:43 pm

Good stuff here guys. I'll have to check out the San Diego Jam Knot and Snap-into-a-Slim-Jim-Beauty Knot on Youtube. Thanks for that Nickster :D
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby Jadeo » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:59 am

One of my favorites to use is the nonslip mono-loop I use this for float jig rigs, and small spoon (dick nites) fishing as it gives the lure more freedom to move .
Jadeo
Pecker Trout

Postby fishcaddy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:09 am

The knot that I use the most is the improved clinch knot ,but I always double the line at the knot. I taught myself how to tie a egg bumper knot that can be tie with only one end of the line. I use it a lot when I fish the rivers.
fishcaddy
Pollywog

Postby t_dub » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:13 am

Mono to tackle: improved clinch knot. trout, salmon, ling, halibut, tuna, doesn't matter

Braid to tackle: palomar

Mono to Braid: modified albright
t_dub
Pecker Trout

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion