New transducer

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

New transducer

Postby Crazyfisher » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:27 am

Have and HDS 7 from about 2011. It is time for a new transducer. The one that came with it was the general 83/200 HST-WSBL. I do all fishing; bass, river fishing and salt water.

Any opinions on upgrade options? It has done well enough considering the wide range of fishing and I am considering purchasing the same unit.

Thanks in advance.
Crazyfisher
Pollywog

Re: New transducer

Postby Nelly » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:15 am

Hey CF,
Sounds like you were listening on Saturday morning when we were discussing transducer upgrades!
If so, thanks for listening! If not, I apologize for accusing you of not sleeping in on Saturday morning! :D

Transom-mount transducers are a wear item just like tires on your boat trailer. In fact, if your boat trailer has been kicking rocks up at your transducer as you go down the road, the "face" of your 'ducer could be scratched or pitted.

The best case scenario is that these scratches only cause turbulence that slightly degrades its performance. Worst case? One of those pits could allow water into the 'ducer housing and your ducer has a terminal case.

How can you tell if you may have an issue? Take a look at the license plate on your boat trailer. If it looks like someone patterened their shotgun on your plate then you can bet that your 'ducer has taken a few "shots" as well! 50cal

Here's a link to the product description of the Airmar P66
http://www.airmartechnology.com/2009/products/marine-product.asp?prodid=48&manf=Lowrance

Here's a link to Lowrance/Simrad's direct ordering site (formerly LEI Accessories)
http://store.navico.com/Products/000-11062-001

The P66 is a quality transducer that delivers a great picture. You will not be dissapointed! cheers
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Re: New transducer

Postby Crazyfisher » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:37 am

Gosh. I forgot to get back on here!!

Thank you for he info Nelly. I actually ended up going with the "stock" ducer for now. Might be upgrading the whole unit next summer.
Crazyfisher
Pollywog

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion