Getting my sled on a river

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Getting my sled on a river

Postby Duckhunter » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:45 pm

Hey guys,
I have been getting into fishing for about the last 3 years or so now, and I bought a 20 ft. North River Scout primarily for duck hunting but want to get into river fishing more. I go to the Cowlitz but it would be nice to get out of the crowds and be able to relax and fish. My problem is I'm not sure what rivers are fishable from a sled? I'm willing to travel, looking for South sound, southwest and or coastal rivers to get me started. Any help would be appreciated.
Duckhunter
Pollywog

Re: Getting my sled on a river

Postby DuckDog » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:43 pm

The Wynoochee is a good bet and also the Lewis River on down south. They great a great summer run in there thumbup
DuckDog
Pollywog

Postby Duckhunter » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:12 pm

Thanks, everytime I go to the coast I ask the locals about the Wynoochie and I always get a stern warning about jet boats ruining that river. I might just have to try it out though.
Duckhunter
Pollywog

Postby DuckDog » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:47 pm

Every time I'm there I see a ton of sleds on the river. We always seem to catch fish in the drift boat even when the sleds are around ;)
DuckDog
Pollywog

Postby BadPhish2 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:19 pm

Aside from the lower Wynoochee, the Chehalis itself can be productive. I've got a 15 foot Smokercraft with a prop so I'm a bit more limited than you, but I've fished from the Porter launch to about a mile or so downstream. I'd go down further, but there's a spot where it shallows up and I'm not sure I'd make it back up! I've also launched down by Montesano and trolled with all the other boats for coho in the fall. For steelhead, I typically find a good spot to anchor and throw out the plunking gear. Good luck!
BadPhish2
Pollywog

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion