Butts on the Border

Saltwater and freshwater fishing reports!

Butts on the Border

Postby Jeff Nance » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:05 am

Cruised across the line yesterday and found a couple of nice flatties to dine on. We missed our first fish and doubled up. All the fish hit within 15 minutes of each other on the tide change. Herring was the go to bait.
Hali.png
Hali.png (39.81 KiB) Viewed 11566 times
If you are ever having issues with home financing or know of anyone having troubles with their home loan, please send them my way for an honest and transparent opinion.
Jeff Nance
NMLS# 405731
www.MyFinancePage.com
Jeff Nance
Pecker Trout

Re: Butts on the Border

Postby Nelly » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:48 am

Nice work on a flat calm day for the flatties!!! cheers
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby salmonhunter1 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:14 pm

Those are great. Would it be possible to get a gps cord of that area.. spy
salmonhunter1
Pollywog

Postby Jeff Nance » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:46 pm

I only give my digits out to models that post in Cosmo :o Just find a pinnacle and anchor up...stick-and-stay, and make them pay. thumbup
If you are ever having issues with home financing or know of anyone having troubles with their home loan, please send them my way for an honest and transparent opinion.
Jeff Nance
NMLS# 405731
www.MyFinancePage.com
Jeff Nance
Pecker Trout

Postby salmonhunter1 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:19 pm

Lol
salmonhunter1
Pollywog

Postby DuckDog » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:34 am

Nice halibut Jeff! How much scope did you have out compared to the depth of water you anchored up in? Appreciate any anchoring tips you can give a novice. Thanks
DuckDog
Pollywog

Postby Jeff Nance » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:35 am

The general rule of thumb is to have out at least double your depth, but that is not always realistic in deep water anchoring. I usually like to have a 45 degree slope at the minimum. We did have a pucker moment this last time out, a huge dead-head came drifting over our anchor line, and I had to use my motor to avoid the log while on anchor....luckily that log was avoided. I thought for sure I was going to have to cut the line..it was that close. Everyone should always have eyes up and always watching for these hazards. I am fortunate to have a 10yr old son who is becoming one of the best deckhands out there. He saw the log coming, and also saw the rod getting slammed when I had my back to it. When you are in shallower water 5 to 8 times the water depth is recommended, or possibly even more. The extra line out takes up the shock of the w.aves, helps avoid your anchor lifting off the bottom, and it also gives your boat enough room to ride over the w.aves. After the anchor is set, feel your line, if your line is vibrating your anchor is most likely not holding and you are dragging the bottom. If your line is tight, then I would mark your position on your GPS and check it often to see if you are drifting. I also use a sea anchor to help control my boat, sometimes the wind will be blowing in one direction and the tide is moving in another direction...it helps to have one of these off your stern to help keep your boat in control with the varying conditions. Now, bringing your anchor up...make sure you are down current of your anchor when bringing up, the last thing you want to do is bring it up and then drift over your line...if you are using one of the anchor pulling systems with a buoy, don't be one of those hill-billy throttle jockeys, and put a lot of power into pulling that anchor up...if that anchor is jammed on a rock below...that could turn your bow swamp your boat, or break the line and really hurt someone. Good luck out there. rockon
Nelly, when I type the word w.a.v.e.s that smiley face pops up, is there a way to override that?
Jeff Nance
NMLS# 405731
www.MyFinancePage.com
Jeff Nance
Pecker Trout

Postby Nelly » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:32 pm

I dunno what you're talking 'bout spy
"wave" Wave" "WAVE" WAVE!!!!
wave wave wave wave wave wave wave

You did it with the spacing.,,,, now try the word "Cheers"... rofl cheers
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Jeff Nance » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:45 pm

Waves
Jeff Nance
NMLS# 405731
www.MyFinancePage.com
Jeff Nance
Pecker Trout

Postby salmonhunter1 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:30 pm

Wave wave Wave wave....lol. outahere
Sorry had to do it. cheers
salmonhunter1
Pollywog

Next