Lowrance questions

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Re: Lowrance questions

Postby salmonhunter1 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:42 pm

Thank you Tom for the reply. I feel there are 2 things I am missing ( Radar). Mad some way of connecting both units, I'm guesting Nema 2000 cable or something. spy
salmonhunter1
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:47 am

salmonhunter1 wrote:Thank you Tom for the reply. I feel there are 2 things I am missing ( Radar). Mad some way of connecting both units, I'm guesting Nema 2000 cable or something. spy

Good question SH,
There are actually two networks at work in your Lowrance/Simrad installation:
NEMA 2000 (N2K) and the Ethernet.

Basically N2K shares engine information, GPS position info and some control features (audio/satellite weather and auto pilot). N2K is most often used to share info between brands and as such has a standard electronic "language" that is agreed upon and standardized by the marine electronics industry.

Ethernet on the other hand shares info that originates in the units themselves such as sonar echoes, radar images and charting information.
For instance, if you choose Structure Scan for your boat, that info will be available to other display units or wirelessly to phones and iPads via the Go Free Wireless module which also requires an Ethernet connection.

Two networks working together on your boat to keep you sharp and safe on the water! cheers
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby salmonhunter1 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:34 pm

Tom, tm260 or sonic hub... Either high end transducer or sonic hub hub with a basic 50/200 transducer. cheers I'm ordering tomorrow so it's crunch time and stress
salmonhunter1
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:55 pm

My advice would be to get the Sonic Hub so you can CHIRP and run the standard or included transducers.
You can always upgrade your 'ducers later if you so desire.
Don't stress about it, just have fun with your system choices and enjoy the process! thumbup
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby salmonhunter1 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:16 pm

Well Ton, the mighty fine UPS guy showed up today with a couple big boxes. cheers
So when will you be showing up to put all the stuff in my boat... :lol:
2 7" hds touch 7
Gps ant, sonar hub, side scan transducer, chirp transducer, radar and more.. drool
salmonhunter1
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:52 am

Nice work on the system SH!

But heck, I would never think of depriving you of the pleasure of installing your system on your own boat! :D

Seriously though if you do choose to do the work yourself, what you will gain is a very deep knowledge of your system that will make it easier to use and maintain in the long run.

In other words, if you ever have an issue with your gear -which I doubt will happen- you will know where all the connections and system components are located which will speed diagnosis and get you back u and running quickly!

Good luck!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby spencerw » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:01 am

SH- I just had installed almost the exact same setup. Nice work! I went with a 9 Touch and a 7 Touch. One thing I have learned that kind of bothers me is you can't run CHIRP Sonar and Structure Scan on your other screen at the same time. Can you with another SonarHub and/or transducer?? I don't know. Perhaps.

If you are running structure scan on one of the 7's, your other 7 will need to run through the unit itself in the 200/50 Khz frequency.

Took me hours of frustration and 800 calls to Navico tech support to finally figure it all out.

Not the end of the world............... but just a heads up when you're out there bashing your head against the wall.

Have fun with it! It's a badass set up!
Woods
Edgewood, WA
spencerw
Pollywog

Postby salmonhunter1 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:33 pm

Thank you for the heads up. I was figuring one unit would be use as navigation and the other would be fish/ bait hunting. My biggest task now is figuring out how to make the wiring run and still look nice.
salmonhunter1
Pollywog

Postby spencerw » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:12 am

That was/still is my exact intention as well. One as navigation and one as sonar. Then the day came where it was 10am in the morning, in the mix of fishing, knowing exactly where I was, etc,....... where I had the thought of, "hey, lets run both of these together".

When you do, you'll get a message on both screens that says, "Sonar Stopped".

It was killing me. I couldnt figure out what the hell was going on for the life of me.

I did finally. So there you have it.

Regardless, I may have just saved you a lot of brain power.

Cheers! Post pics when you're done.
Woods
Edgewood, WA
spencerw
Pollywog

Postby salmonhunter1 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:45 pm

So true and I was thinking about it last night. Run sonar hub to one screen and a 50/200 to the other. But then I had a drink and really thought about it..... But I did forget something...... I was going to get the fuel sending unit that runs off of the Nema 2000
salmonhunter1
Pollywog

PreviousNext

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion