Mossberg 3 1/2" Mag Pattern Test

Use this forum to discuss duck and goose hunting, pheasant and upland bird hunting, big game hunting, firearms, and ammunition.Image

Mossberg 3 1/2" Mag Pattern Test

Postby Robbo » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:45 pm

Since I'm gonna be out turkey hunting with Jerrod Gibbons from Okanogan Valley Guide Service later this week I figured I'd better take my new Mossberg 935 12 guage 3 1/2" autoloader out for a pattern test this morning. I ordered this gun towards the end of waterfowl season and haven't had a chance to test it out until now.

I used Federal Black Cloud loaded with an ounce and a half of #4's. 4, 5, and 6 shot is generally best for gobblers and in Washington it's mandatory to use shot smaller than #4. I wanted the largest pellet allowed for knockdown and figured I could use the rest of the ammo in the fall for duck gunning.

To get the feel for the kick and power of this 3 1/2 inch magnum I fired a half dozen rounds thru the gun before doing the pattern test. I'm glad I did too because this thing kicks a little more than my old 3 inch mag 12 guage and it gave me an idea of what to expect when I was on rest shooting at the target.

I made some target's that included a 2 inch target in the center, which is about the size of a turkey's head, with a 10 inch ring around it. I found some heavy card stock paper at Office Depot that worked great and then used one of my wifes sauce pan lids to draw the circle. It just happened to be the right size and well...she's at work and will never, ever find out :)

The Mossberg 935 comes stock with Improved, Modified, and Full choke tubes and I set up a 30 yard target for starters to test these three stock tubes out to see how they pattern.
Here's the results:
Improved Cylinder at 30 yards-31 pellets inside the 10 inch ring
mossberg935_improved_30.jpg
mossberg935_improved_30.jpg (48.17 KiB) Viewed 8836 times

Modified Cylinder at 30 yards-38 pellets inside the 10 inch ring
mossberg935_modified_30.jpg
mossberg935_modified_30.jpg (51.2 KiB) Viewed 8836 times

Full Choke at 30 yards-105 pellets inside the 10 inch ring
mossberg935_full_30.jpg
mossberg935_full_30.jpg (40.59 KiB) Viewed 8836 times

I then paced off 40 yards and took three more shots with the Black Cloud #4's using the Improved, Modified, and Full Choke tubes
Improved Cylinder at 40 yards-30 pellets inside the 10 inch ring
mossberg935_improved_40.jpg
mossberg935_improved_40.jpg (40.18 KiB) Viewed 8836 times

Modified Cylinder at 40 yards-18 pellets inside 10 inch ring
mossberg935_modified_40.jpg
mossberg935_modified_40.jpg (30.93 KiB) Viewed 8836 times

Full Choke at 40 yards-25 pellets inside the 10 inch ring
mossberg935_full_40.jpg
mossberg935_full_40.jpg (40.98 KiB) Viewed 8836 times

As you can see from the photos the full choke performed very well at 30 yards and the improved and modified were marginal at this range. At 40 yards, however, it appears as though the pattern opened up considerably. I was set up on a rock solid rest and I can't imagine flinching enough to miss the target with the full choke.

I was in a hollow and the wind overhead was maybe 10 mph...little to no wind in the gravel pit. Perhaps as the velocity decreases with the Black Cloud loads they tend to wander a bit. Black Cloud are shaped like a UFO and while I've never heard of this the blade around the pellet could actually make them sail a little.

I definitely want to pattern this gun some more at 40 yards using several different brands of ammo to see if there's any difference. Regardless, this was a great exercise and now I know to get in tight if I'm going to take a shot at a gobbler this week. I can't wait to perform a pattern test on an Okanogan County turkey later this week!
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Re: Mossberg 3 1/2" Mag Pattern Test

Postby DuckDog » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:21 am

Thanks for posting this Robbo. I've never tested my Benelli pattern and think I should after seeing this. We shoot Black Cloud primarily for ducks and it would be interesting to see how other shotguns pattern at 40 yards with this load. Good luck turkey hunting ;)
DuckDog
Pollywog

Postby Robbo » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:12 pm

I just stopped by Sportco in Fife and picked up some copper plated Federal 3 1/2" number #4's. Jerrod was confident that they would work a lot better than the Black Cloud loads. If I have time I'll stop off on the way and pattern them. More later 8-)
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby Jon » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:24 pm

Federal shoots tighter than any other Shot Gun ammo I have found their new 00 Buck Shot looks like a slug when it hits a target, let me know if you find something tighter.
Jon
Pollywog

Return to Hunting Camp Forum